Pearl of Great Price
The Pearl of Great Price is a compilation of writings affecting many significant aspects of the faith and doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These items, created by the Prophet Joseph Smith, were published in the Church periodicals of his day.
The first writings of the Pearl of Great Price’s were made in 1851 by Elder Franklin D. Richards. At that time, he was a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles and president of the British Mission. The intention was to make more readily available many of the important articles that had experienced limited circulation in the days of Joseph Smith. The growth of the membership of the Church throughout the United States and Europe facilitated a need to make these teachings more available. The Pearl of Great Price received wide circulation and use, and eventually became one of the standard works of the Church by action of the First Presidency on October 10, 1880.
Added In 1878, were segments of the Book of Moses not contained in the first edition. Omitted In 1902, were certain parts of the Pearl of Great Price that were considered duplicative of writings published in the Doctrine and Covenants. Also in 1902, the text was arranged into chapters and verses with footnotes. The first version to have double-column pages and an index was in 1921. And in 1976, two new revelations were added, which were subsequently removed in 1979 and inserted into the Doctrine & Covenants where we now have them as Sections 137 & 138.
Pearl of Great Price Contents:
- Selections from the Book of Moses – Book of Genesis extracts from Joseph Smith’s Translation of the Bible, which he commenced in 1830.
- The Book of Abraham – A translation from Egyptian papyri that came into Joseph Smith’s possession in 1835, which contain some of the writings of Abraham.
- Joseph Smith—Matthew - An extract from the witness of Matthew revealed to Joseph Smith as he translated the New Testament after receiving instruction to do so from God. See D&C 45:60-61
- Joseph Smith—History. Selections from the official testimony and history of Joseph Smith which he created in 1838.
- The Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – A statement of the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints created by Joseph Smith in 1842.
To listen to, or read the Pearl of Great Price on-line, click on the following link: Pearl of Great Price
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.